Skip to main content

There's Always Room to Improve


          Within any marriage, normally towards the beginning of the marriage, it is easy to recognize faults not only in yourself, but also in your spouse. These little faults can range from little things like not putting the dirty dishes away, to bigger things like aggression or lack of communication. Regardless, these faults are the responsibility of the person who possess them to improve for the sake of their marriage. At no point should either partner in a marriage expect the other to change completely as a person (you should know who you married), but I do think it is fair for compromises to be made in order to assure a happy marriage.
          I have not been married for very long (almost two years), but I have seen the importance of this in my marriage so far. My husband is six years older than me and had a lot of time on his own to develop his own way of living life, sustaining himself, etc. while I did not have a lot of time to do that. I remember that, unknowingly and innocently on his end, he would make decisions and go about things in a way that he was comfortable with or that he deemed as the best way to do things just out of habit before counseling with me about them. He would not do this on purpose, but it was something that slightly bothered me and that I wanted to be a little more included in. He completely understood and, though it took a few months, he became so good at including me in decision making and accepting that there is not just one right way to do something.
         I have plenty of faults of my own and I look at my husband as being a very patient man, but some of these faults that he has brought up to me are faults that I needed to change or improve on in order to make him happy. This is what marriage is about! You married the most important person in your life, so why wouldn’t you want to make them as happy as possible? Making constant improvements all through your marriage (whether you’ve been married for 2 years or 52 years) is essential in keeping that marriage healthy and full of love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intimacy in Marriage

          Growing up, sexual intimacy was always a very taboo topic in my mind. I was given “the talk” by my mother when I was about eight years old, but always thought of being intimate as something that was “gross” and not something that I ever wanted to think about or talk about. As I advanced in age and entered the stage of life where I could date, I remember all of the lessons we would have in Young Women’s about the importance of our virtue and keeping ourselves worthy to enter the temple, and clean from any sexual sin. As I came to understand the importance of keeping myself pure and free of that sin, I started to think of intimacy in a different, more important light. Though I feel as if I did not fully understand the sacredness and true nature of marital intimacy, I began to realize that it was something important enough in the eyes of God to keep the rules on.         ...

It's the Little Things

          Perhaps the most important thing that I heard from this week’s content was Elder Wirthlin say that sometimes the greatest acts of love are not like the things that poets and writers talk about, but rather the small, loving acts of kindness throughout the day that make the biggest and most profound difference in a marriage. It was interesting to take this thought and carry it into watching the “Fireproof” clips. It was the small glares, eye rolls, and snarky comments that really caused and escalated problems and fights in their relationship. If there was an issue, “sprinkling” it with these small, but negative acts made it 10 times worse. Seeing just how much these small negative acts affected their marriage, wouldn’t it be interesting to see how doing frequent, small, kind acts affects a marriage as well. If doing these small, mean things can almost bring marriages to the ground, doesn’t the opposite surely have the ca...

Rituals

         One of the most inspiring things that we talked about this week, in my opinion, was found in chapter twelve of Gottman’s book when he talked about developing different rituals of connection with one another that have meaning. Since I got married two years ago, I have come to find that even the most tedious and menial of things have become little rituals that we treasure a lot. One of the main “rituals” that we have is getting ready for bed together and going to bed at the same time. Though our schedules conflict at times, it is so nice to know that at the end of the day, we will at least get to wind down together and go to bed together. By doing this, we are always able to say prayers together and keep that goal that we made to each other right when we first got married. I never thought it was a big deal growing up because that was never something that my parents did, but I have come to find that no matter what our schedules...