Skip to main content

Pride in Your Marriage



          The pride cycle in the Book of Mormon has been a topic that I have greatly enjoyed studying as I have aged and become more familiar with the scriptures. It amazes me how time and time again, group of people in the scriptures, whether it be the Nephites, the Lamanites, or even rulers like King David, can continually make the same mistakes that ultimately lead them to the same, pending doom. As a reader of the Book of Mormon, it is very easy to look at their, for a lack of a better word, stupidity and think, “How can they not see how damaging this is to their ultimate salvation?” With that being said, I have found that it is not quite as easy to look onto my marriage and say the same thing about myself when I know I am being prideful.

          Upon reading in “Drawing Heaven into Your Marriage” this week, there was a particular paragraph that stood out to me – perhaps because I often relate to it:

“God has graciously given each of us an early warning system. When we are feeling irked, annoyed, or irritated with our spouse, we have our backs turned toward heaven. We are guilty of pride. In a spiritual sense we are saying to our spouses, ‘You are not meeting my needs the way I would like them met. Don’t you realize that is your job?! Your every act is to be dedicated to my happiness. Now hop to it!’”

          I can say that I have never once actually said words like that to my husband, but I would be lying if I said that I have never thought up things that were very close to the same lines. I have been married for about two years and after seeing just how much pride tries to take hold of your mind, I can better understand why the pride cycle was so prevalent in the scriptures. I work every single day to assure that I do not let my own pride get in the way of the biggest blessing my life – my marriage. Though that is the case, I still need to consistently work on it. After all, isn’t that what marriage is all about? Continuing and persevering toward perfection even if we don’t quite get there?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intimacy in Marriage

          Growing up, sexual intimacy was always a very taboo topic in my mind. I was given “the talk” by my mother when I was about eight years old, but always thought of being intimate as something that was “gross” and not something that I ever wanted to think about or talk about. As I advanced in age and entered the stage of life where I could date, I remember all of the lessons we would have in Young Women’s about the importance of our virtue and keeping ourselves worthy to enter the temple, and clean from any sexual sin. As I came to understand the importance of keeping myself pure and free of that sin, I started to think of intimacy in a different, more important light. Though I feel as if I did not fully understand the sacredness and true nature of marital intimacy, I began to realize that it was something important enough in the eyes of God to keep the rules on.            After I got married, I realized the marital intimacy is so much more than just the

Rituals

         One of the most inspiring things that we talked about this week, in my opinion, was found in chapter twelve of Gottman’s book when he talked about developing different rituals of connection with one another that have meaning. Since I got married two years ago, I have come to find that even the most tedious and menial of things have become little rituals that we treasure a lot. One of the main “rituals” that we have is getting ready for bed together and going to bed at the same time. Though our schedules conflict at times, it is so nice to know that at the end of the day, we will at least get to wind down together and go to bed together. By doing this, we are always able to say prayers together and keep that goal that we made to each other right when we first got married. I never thought it was a big deal growing up because that was never something that my parents did, but I have come to find that no matter what our schedules are, we will always try to do that to