Skip to main content

Communication is Key

          In Chapter 4 of Gottman’s book that we read this week, I really found the story of Rory and Lisa’s relationship to be incredibly interesting. At first, I read some of the things that were going on within that relationship and I was appalled! How could Rory be so consumed with work that he does not even know the name of the family dog?! As I continued reading, I realized that part of the reason why I didn’t like the things I was reading as much as I did was because I have seen how sad this very behavior is in real life.
          In the home of my aunt and uncle, common knowledge of the home and what is inside, the lives of my cousins, and the emotional state of my aunt is something that is completely foreign to my uncle. Growing up, my sister and I were very close with one of these cousins and would spend and great deal of time over at their house. In talking to my cousin, probably 16 at the time, she told us that she has never seen her parents kiss in her entire life. She has never heard and I love you or seen them sleep in the same bed together either. He slept in his “man cave” in the garage while my aunt slept in their bedroom. They had a very set schedule where she would cook and eat dinner with the kids and about an hour later when dinner was cleaned up and everyone was out of the kitchen, my uncle would enjoy the leftovers out of the fridge. This was incredibly normal for this family, but also something that eventually became unbearable to my aunt. After over 30 years of marriage, nearly nine years passing from the last time that they had been intimate with each other, and double those number of years from the last time they had ever joined together to do something as a family, they filed for divorce.
          I share this because of the unpleasant and unhealthy habits that had been formed over the course of many years. Lack of involvement on my uncles part even got to the point where after a few days of not seeing anyone in the house, he called one of the kids and realized that my aunt had taken them all to Disneyland for the week and that they had already been gone for a few days. He had no idea. It was this very disinterest and lack of love and attention to family life and his wife that ultimately led to their divorce. Though things got very extreme at the end of their marriage, it started with simple things like the lack of communication on a day-to-day basis. Though it might seem irrelevant, it is the little things like checking in once during the day while you’re both out that really keep you close to one another even if life, work, etc. does bring space in between you. It was a very unfortunate spiral downwards that I watched growing up, but it was also something that I gained many lessons from as to what I need to assure does not happen in my marriage. My husband and I have talked about it before and we still feel the same way: Communication is key.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intimacy in Marriage

          Growing up, sexual intimacy was always a very taboo topic in my mind. I was given “the talk” by my mother when I was about eight years old, but always thought of being intimate as something that was “gross” and not something that I ever wanted to think about or talk about. As I advanced in age and entered the stage of life where I could date, I remember all of the lessons we would have in Young Women’s about the importance of our virtue and keeping ourselves worthy to enter the temple, and clean from any sexual sin. As I came to understand the importance of keeping myself pure and free of that sin, I started to think of intimacy in a different, more important light. Though I feel as if I did not fully understand the sacredness and true nature of marital intimacy, I began to realize that it was something important enough in the eyes of God to keep the rules on.            After I got married, I realized the marital intimacy is so much more than just the

Rituals

         One of the most inspiring things that we talked about this week, in my opinion, was found in chapter twelve of Gottman’s book when he talked about developing different rituals of connection with one another that have meaning. Since I got married two years ago, I have come to find that even the most tedious and menial of things have become little rituals that we treasure a lot. One of the main “rituals” that we have is getting ready for bed together and going to bed at the same time. Though our schedules conflict at times, it is so nice to know that at the end of the day, we will at least get to wind down together and go to bed together. By doing this, we are always able to say prayers together and keep that goal that we made to each other right when we first got married. I never thought it was a big deal growing up because that was never something that my parents did, but I have come to find that no matter what our schedules are, we will always try to do that to

Maintaining Healthy Familial Relationships

Feeling united in this life can seem like a daunting task even for those that appear to others to be in healthy, stable relationships. We have seen the separation that even our own, democratic society has currently and the unhealthy and disappointing divide it has caused since being created. President Eyring could not have explained it better when he stated the following: “All of us have felt something of both union and separation. Sometimes in families and perhaps in other settings we have glimpsed life when one person put the interests of another above his or her own, in love and with sacrifice. And all of us know something of the sadness and loneliness of being separate and alone. We don’t need to be told which we should choose. We know. But we need hope that we can experience unity in this life and qualify to have it forever in the world to come. And we need to know how that great blessing will come so that we can know what we must do.” Having health