Skip to main content

Conflicting Thoughts on Same-Sex Marriage

        
          Growing up, I never really took into deep account just how many gay people were a part of my life. I recall my younger brother's speech therapist and the incredible man and mentor he was to not only my brother, but to my whole family. My brother suffered from a speech impediment his entire childhood. He didn't even begin speaking until the age of five, and when he did speak, he had a horrible stutter that he was extremely ashamed of. He refused to talk to anyone in public let alone strangers that he didn't know. At the age of six, my parents sought out help for my younger brother. That is when they found Mr. B.
          Mr. B was a 6'4" tank. He was tall, bald, incredibly muscular, and quite intimidating to anyone that stepped into the same room as him. When he began working at our elementary school, most students were scared of him due to his sheer massiveness! On my brothers first day of therapy with Mr. B, my mother and I were both present and sat in on the session. I was just 10 years old, but from the second I saw him interact with my little brother, I immediately gained so much respect for him. He was one of the most kind, genuine, and caring individuals to ever come in contact with my brother and cared so deeply for him and his impediment. Needless to say, my parents kept my little brother in speech therapy with Mr. B until he was in the sixth grade. In those six years my little brother spent with him, he made a transformation that I can't even put into words. He was giving talks in sacrament meeting, speaking voluntarily to people he didn't know, catching himself when he would start to stutter and correcting himself, and so much more. He was a new kid. Upon his graduation from Mr. B's program, Mr. B shed tears of joy for my brother and told my parents what a blessing it was to have worked with him.
          Years later, we ran into Mr. B at the supermarket and it was a joyous reunion. He caught up with my mother, asked my younger brother about his progress and how he was enjoying high school, and so on. My mother noticed a wedding ring on his finger and congratulated him as she noted that he was not married during my brother's therapy sessions. He graciously accepted the congratulations and upon my mother asking to see a family photo, he showed us a photo of him, his partner, and their two dogs. It was not shown in the slightest, but I knew that my mother was surprised, as she has always been a very traditional, conservative person. She congratulated him again and we said our goodbye's. As we were leaving the supermarket, I simply asked my mom, "Did you know?" and still surprised she said, "I had no idea."
         I share this experience not because finding out Mr. B was gay changed the way we looked at him (because that was not the case in the slightest), but because of the wonderful relationship we had with him and because of the amazing, caring person that he was. My mother recalls vague conversations during my brother's therapy years in which he would say that he was, "still waiting on the one." Even as a young kid, I remember thinking to myself, "I wish Mr. B could find someone to marry because he would be the best dad." After finding out about his partner, should my wish for him have changed? In my mind, no.
       
          The church has taught members of the importance of a temple marriage between a man and a woman as well as the importance of rearing children in love and righteousness. We know of the blessings that carrying out these important covenants and acts will bring to us, but we also know of the grievous sin that it is to carry out these acts inappropriately or in a way that is not appeasing to the Lord. It pains me to see so many couples, man and woman, that have terrible relationships, have bore children that they can't/don't care to care for, and much more. On the other hand, there are incredible couples that raise great children, have a healthy, happy relationship, and follow all of the steps that God has laid out for us. This same spectrum goes for gay couples.
          I am fully aware and have a testimony of the direct statement in The Family: A Proclamation to the World that states: 
"The family is ordained of God. Marriage between a man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a mother and father who honor marital vows with complete fidelity."
          Though I look at people like Mr. B and say to myself, "he would be a wonderful father and love his children unconditionally", it doesn't change the fact that it is not what God would have us do. God has given us guidelines to follow to ultimately return back to Him and it is our choice if we wish to follow those or not. For me, personally, that is a lifestyle that I never wish to be a part of. I have found a husband whom I love and we look forward to having a family together. What we can do, however, is simply love those around us regardless of the way that they choose to live their life and be sure that they know that we care about them. After all, the second great commandment given to us by the Lord Himself was to Love One Another. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intimacy in Marriage

          Growing up, sexual intimacy was always a very taboo topic in my mind. I was given “the talk” by my mother when I was about eight years old, but always thought of being intimate as something that was “gross” and not something that I ever wanted to think about or talk about. As I advanced in age and entered the stage of life where I could date, I remember all of the lessons we would have in Young Women’s about the importance of our virtue and keeping ourselves worthy to enter the temple, and clean from any sexual sin. As I came to understand the importance of keeping myself pure and free of that sin, I started to think of intimacy in a different, more important light. Though I feel as if I did not fully understand the sacredness and true nature of marital intimacy, I began to realize that it was something important enough in the eyes of God to keep the rules on.            After I got married, I realized the marital intimacy is so much more than just the

Rituals

         One of the most inspiring things that we talked about this week, in my opinion, was found in chapter twelve of Gottman’s book when he talked about developing different rituals of connection with one another that have meaning. Since I got married two years ago, I have come to find that even the most tedious and menial of things have become little rituals that we treasure a lot. One of the main “rituals” that we have is getting ready for bed together and going to bed at the same time. Though our schedules conflict at times, it is so nice to know that at the end of the day, we will at least get to wind down together and go to bed together. By doing this, we are always able to say prayers together and keep that goal that we made to each other right when we first got married. I never thought it was a big deal growing up because that was never something that my parents did, but I have come to find that no matter what our schedules are, we will always try to do that to

Maintaining Healthy Familial Relationships

Feeling united in this life can seem like a daunting task even for those that appear to others to be in healthy, stable relationships. We have seen the separation that even our own, democratic society has currently and the unhealthy and disappointing divide it has caused since being created. President Eyring could not have explained it better when he stated the following: “All of us have felt something of both union and separation. Sometimes in families and perhaps in other settings we have glimpsed life when one person put the interests of another above his or her own, in love and with sacrifice. And all of us know something of the sadness and loneliness of being separate and alone. We don’t need to be told which we should choose. We know. But we need hope that we can experience unity in this life and qualify to have it forever in the world to come. And we need to know how that great blessing will come so that we can know what we must do.” Having health